Safe and Compliant Transportation of Lithium Batteries by All Modes (49 CFR, ICAO / IATA Edition 63, IMDG Code Amd. 40-20, Canadian TDGR, and ADR 2021) - English 2022Author: Currie Associates
This course is intended for the training of hazmat employees responsible for the handling, shipping, or transportation of fully regulated and excepted lithium batteries by all modes using domestic and international regulations such as 49 CFR, TDGR, ADR, the IMDG Code and the IATA DGR. It explains the various types of battery technology in use today and has been designed to meet the function-specific training requirements of the regulations. It can be used for both initial and recurrent function-specific training.
This course meets the regulatory training standards set out in the 49 CFR (Part 172, Subpart H), TDG Regulations (Part 6), IMDG Code (Part 1, Chapters 1.3 and 1.4), ADR (Part 1, Chapters 1.3 & 1.10), and IATA DGR (Section 1.5), for all dangerous goods employees involved in the safe transportation of lithium batteries and includes all recent amendments.
- Navigating the “Lists of Dangerous Goods” and understanding the use of the appropriate packing instructions to determine the classification/identification, packaging, marking, labeling, and documentation requirements for safe the transportation of lithium batteries by all modes.
- Shippers, carriers and freight forwarders (i.e. dangerous goods employees and their supervisors) who handle, offer for transport or transport lithium batteries domestically and internationally
Modules / Topics
- Classification of lithium batteries
- Lithium battery test summary requirements
- Packaging, marking, labelling requirements
- Documentation requirements
Regulatory Texts & References Required
- 49 CFR Regulations - free download or book available for purchase
- TDG Regulations - free download or book available for purchase
- ADR 2021 (Volumes I & II, plus corrigenda) - free download or books available for purchase
- IMDG Code – International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (40-20) - available for purchase
- IMDG Code Corrigenda May 2022
- IATA DGR Book – International Air Transport Association Dangerous Goods Regulations (Edition 63) - available for purchase
- IATA 2022 Lithium Battery Guidance Document - free download
- Run Time: 1h40
- Language: English
- Includes final assessment to validate student’s understanding of material
- Training certificate (including a wallet card) will be issued upon successful completion of course