Safe and Compliant Transportation of Excepted Lithium Batteries by Ground and Air (49 CFR / ICAO/IATA) Training 2019
This course is intended for training hazmat employees responsible for preparing, offering in transportation, or transporting excepted lithium batteries by the highway/rail or air modes of transportation, domestically and internationally.
The course provides function specific training on the transport regulations within the scope and applicability of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (49CFR) Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations to satisfy the training requirements for employees shipping or transporting excepted lithium batteries.
In order to satisfy the training requirements in §172.704(a) for general and security awareness, make sure you also complete a separate general awareness/familiarization or security awareness training.
The course has been updated to include all regulatory changes through April 2019 to include the February 27, 2019 US DOT PHMSA Interim Final Rule harmonizing with the international air transport regulations prohibiting the transport of lithium ion cells or batteries as cargo on passenger carrying aircraft and the November 27, 2018 US DOT Notice of Proposed Rulemaking HM-215O.
The training program addresses the following questions:
- What are the different types of lithium batteries and how are they defined in the regulations?
- What are the exceptions to the regulations?
- How are excepted lithium batteries packaged and shipped by air (ICAO/IATA)?
- When marking requirements apply to shipments
- How do the domestic regulations impact international shipping?
- What are the most recent regulatory changes?
- How are excepted lithium batteries shipped domestically in the US?
The course is fully animated and narrated and includes review questions throughout the course and a final student assessment to verify understanding of the material presented. Students will receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course.