Hazardous Materials / Dangerous Goods Transportation Overview for Mailrooms (Pub. 52) - 2022Author: Currie Associates
This course is intended to provide a high-level overview for mailroom employees related to the transport requirements for hazardous materials / dangerous goods, which may include consumer products we use every day. The program provides the definition of dangerous goods, when the transport regulations apply and identifies which consumer goods are classified as hazardous materials for transport. This training is intended to provide mailroom employees information on the hazard classes to be able to identify different types of hazardous materials so that fully trained Hazardous Material/Dangerous Goods employees can then prepare them for shipment. This program is intended as an overview and does not replace dangerous goods/hazardous materials training requirements as required in 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart H.
Provide awareness of hazardous materials commonly found in mailrooms and recognition that these products must be classification/identified, packaged, marked, labeled and documented by trained hazmat employees to comply with the requirements for the safe transportation of hazardous materials.
Employees with job responsibilities for mailing, shipping, logistics, management, carriers and freight forwarders who prepare, handle, ship or transport hazardous materials by ground to, from or within the US.
This may include but are not limited to the following:
- - Mailroom staff
- - Administrative employees
- - IT staff
- - Marketing - office staff with shipping responsibilities
- - Supervisors
- - Customer service staff or procurement staff that are addressing customers’ returns of hazmat.
Regulatory Texts & References Required
- - 49 CFR Regulations (October 1, 2021) free download or book available for purchase
- - DOT Chart 17 - free download
- - Run Time: 15 minutes
- - Language: English
- - Includes final assessment to validate student’s understanding of material
- - Training certificate will be issued upon successful completion of course