Cargo SecurementAuthor: Currie Associates
Cargo Securement – Non-Hazardous Cargo
- This program provides training in the proper use of supporting equipment and securement techniques to prevent shipments from being damaged in transport. This course is specific to road and water transportation. It does not address items related to air transportation.
- The course covers:
- - Responsibilities
- - Applicable Laws and Regulations
- - Intermodal Enforcement
- - Forces Affecting Cargo by Mode
- - Blocking and Bracing Techniques
- - Case Studies.
- This course will aid you in:
- - Organizing your shipments.
- - Planning the transportation of your shipment.
- - Understanding why it is important to properly secure your cargo.
- - Understanding the various regulations affecting load securement.
- - Preparing the cargo properly before loading.
- - Understanding the forces affecting cargo in transport through the various modes of travel.
- - Selecting the proper equipment type.
- - Techniques to aid in error free shipments.
- - Understanding the mechanics of packaging.
- Understanding applicable laws and regulations related to cargo securement in order to properly prepare for the transportation of your shipments, including proper handling of packagings, blocking and bracing techniques, and knowing the forces that may affect your cargo by mode.
This Blocking & Bracing course is intended for employees who are responsible for supervising and or packing cargo transport units with packages and cargos including the following:
- - Consignor/Shippers
- - Freight Forwarders
- - Consolidators
- - Carriers and Consignees
Modules / Topics:
Module 1: Introduction
This module covers an introduction to the training program.
Module 2: Securement by Mode
This module covers the forces that cargo experiences when being transported by road, rail, vessel, and aircraft, as well as regulations that apply to securement.
Module 3: Supporting Equipment & Restraint Methods
This module covers various devices and equipment used to secure loads of different shapes and sizes, as well as how they are used.
Module 4: Securement Techniques
This module covers several techniques that are commonly used to secure different types of packagings.
Regulatory Texts & References Required
- None required
- - European Best Practice Guidelines on Cargo Securing
- - IMO/ILO/UNECE Code of Practice for Packing of Cargo Transport Units (CTU Code)
- - US DOT FMCSA Driver’s Handbook on Cargo Securement
- None required
- Run Time: 120 minutes
- Language: English
- Includes final assessment to validate student’s understanding of material
- Training certificate will be issued upon successful completion of course