Blocking and BracingAuthor: Currie Associates
- Blocking & Bracing - Hazardous Materials
- This Blocking & Bracing course is intended for employees who are responsible for supervising and or packing cargo transport units with packages containing dangerous goods and other cargos. This course is specific to road and water transportation. It does not address items related to air transportation.
- The course is designed to meet the requirements of the Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations and the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG) Book for training hazardous materials/dangerous goods employees
- This in-depth course assists the hazardous materials/dangerous goods manager, supervisor and packer to ensure transportation compliance and minimization of shipment delays, out-of-service orders, spills, and clean-up costs, environmental restoration fees and other claims related to improper securement.
- This course has been developed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to properly secure a shipment for transportation.
- - Responsibilities
- - Applicable Laws and Regulations
- - Intermodal Enforcement
- - Forces Affecting Cargo by Mode
- - Blocking and Bracing Techniques
- - Case Studies
- It is important to note that while the course covers dangerous goods securement the principals apply to any type of cargo.
- Understanding applicable laws and regulations related to cargo securement in order to properly prepare for the transportation of your shipments, including proper handling of packagings, blocking and bracing techniques, and knowing the forces that may affect your cargo by mode.
- This Blocking & Bracing course is intended for employees who are responsible for supervising and or packing cargo transport units with packages containing dangerous goods and other cargos including the following:
- - Hazmat Employers
- - Consignor/Shippers
- - Freight Forwarders
- - Consolidators
- - Carriers and Consignees
Regulatory Texts & References Required
- None Required
- - 49 CFR Regulations (October 1, 2020) - free download or book available for purchase applies to the domestic transportation by all modes in the US
- - The IMO/ILO UN ECE Code of Practice for Packing of Cargo Transport Units (CTU Code)
- - Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) Circular 1442
- - 33 CFR applies to Ports and Waterways in the US.
- - The International Conference for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
- - IMDG Code Book Set – International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (Amd. 40-20) - available for purchase
- - The International Convention for Safe Containers (CSC) and the International Safe Container Act
- - Run Time: 90 minutes
- - Language: English
- - Includes final assessment to validate student’s understanding of material
- - Training certificate will be issued upon successful completion of course